Registration for 2016-2017 School Year
Registration for Semester 1 will be held September 10, 2016 , from 9:30am to 11:30 am at the school. There is no class on this day. After the student has completed registration for Semester 1, a short interview will be held between the teacher and the student to determine Japanese language skill level and placement. You may also register on the day classes for the fall semester begin, September 17, 2016.
Registration for Semester 2 will be held January 21 and 28, 2017, from 9:00am to 12:00 am at the school. Normal classes will be held on both days. An interview is not required unless the student wishes to change levels or did not attend OJLS in Semester 1.
If you cannot make it on Registration Day, but still wish to attend classes, please bring a completed registration form and payment to the school on a later day and ask for the Principal at the school Office.
School fees for fall and spring semesters are as follows:
- Children (4 to 12 years old), $130.00 per semester ($250.00 for a year of two semesters)
- Youth (13 to 17 years old), $150.00 per semester ($290.00 for a year of two semesters)
- Adult (18 years old and older), $180.00 per semester ($350.00 for a year of two semesters)
The fees depend on the age of the registrant and not on the age group a class is accommodating. For example, a 16-year-old youth student, with a high proficiency of Japanese, can still register for an adult class at the same price for youth listed above. For details about our classes, see the Courses pages.
To register, please download the registration form linked below and bring the completed form on Registration Day. The registration forms may be filled out and printed with Adobe Acrobat Reader . If you cannot print PDF documents, blank registration forms will be available at the school.
Download Adult Registration Form (PDF, 208 KB) - For Adults and Youth 16 years and older.
Download Children Registration Form (PDF, 216 KB) - For Children and Youth 15 years and younger.
Cheques and cash are accepted as payment at any time. Interac e-mail money transfers and credit card transactions are now available at the school on registration days only. A completed registration form is always required, regardless of the method of payment. Receipts will be emailed to the email address provided on the registration form.
To expedite the registration process, students may send their Interac e-transfer payments from their bank website to "email@example.com" in advance of registration day. A separate email is then sent from the student's own email account to "firstname.lastname@example.org" with the answer to the security question. Please be sure to include the name of the parent/guardian and student in the Interac e-transfer message and in the answer email, and bring a copy of the payment confirmation email to registration day, if possible. For more details on Interac e-transfers: http://www.interac.ca/index.php/en/interac-etransfer/etransfer-detail
OJLS is pleased to announce the use of Square - a service that allows us to receive credit cards during registration. OJLS will now be able to process Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover and JCB cards, with a receipt sent straight to your email. There will be a $5 convenience charge added at payment for credit card transactions, with no charge for cash, cheque and Interac e-transfers. Interac debit card payments are not accepted by Square Canada at this time.
Non-Sufficient Funds Policy
A $5.00 administration fee will be charged for all cheques returned by the bank for a non-sufficient funds (NSF) reason.
Tuition Tax Credits
For income tax purposes, tuition tax credits may be claimed for OJLS adult classes from the 2015 calendar year onwards. OJLS has been certified under the Income Tax Act as an Educational Institution for a period of 5 years from 2015 to 2019, and the intent is to renew it for future years. The proof of certification is published on the ESDC federal government website: "OJLS Tuition Tax Credit".
Each year, the school offers one $300.00 scholarship to the student who successfully competes for it. The deadline for registration is on January 31 every year. For a complete list of rules and an application form, download the PDF document linked below. Printed copies are available at the school upon request.
Download Scholarship Application Form (PDF, 51 KB)
What information does OJLS collect? The information OJLS collects from staff and students is what has been provided in OJLS’ registration forms. This includes address, e-mail, and phone number.
What does OJLS use the information for? The information collected is primarily used by teachers to communicate with their students and the students' parents or guardians. OJLS may also use it to send out announcements such as notices for registration dates or school closures in the event of heavy weather conditions.
- Does OJLS disclose the information to external third parties? No. OJLS does not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to external third parties information that will personally identify staff or students. OJLS will disclose the information to law enforcement personnel only if the Chairperson of Athe Board has reasonable and probable grounds to believe that it is in the public interest to do so and that the record reveals a grave environmental, health, or safety hazard to the public.
- How does OJLS protect the information? OJLS takes all private information very seriously and has measures to ensure that only those individuals with a need-to-know will have access to information that will personally identify staff or students.
- How can a staff or student get a copy of the information OJLS has on record about them? Contact a member of the Board through the OJLS website or in person by visiting the office during school hours and the staff will arrange to provide staff or students with a physical copy of the record of privacy information about them as soon as possible.
- When does OJLS destroy the information? OJLS will destroy the information three school years after the time a staff member has left OJLS or a parent, guardian or student has submitted a registration form.